Filled Under:
,

The Great News Is I'm Weird - Part 2 of 2

Yesterday's post showed just how weird I am. By the end of today's post, you'll know why being weird is great, and how to embrace your own inner weirdness.

How does the weirdness I told you about yesterday play-out in real life?

Some people look at me blankly when I tell them what I do (helping people who love the sea to upgrade their lives), and say "Wouldn't you be better off getting a job in marine conservation" or "Does anyone else feel like you do about being at the coast?" They don't get it, and that's absolutely fine. They go talk to someone else and enjoy their conversation about their passion, and we're all happy with that outcome.

But the fantastic outcome, is that when I mention it to people who do get it, boy they really get it! We chat for hours and both have a feeling of "I'm OK, you're OK"; we often get all excited talking about the sea, or fish, or diving; and we both go away from with big smiles on our faces, feeling energised.

Now what would have happened if I'd pretended I was different to how I am? I wouldn't have connected to the other off-beat person, and the first person would have unconsciously sensed I wasn't being myself and felt uncomfortable without knowing why.

Multiply that one occasion by several weeks, months, years, or a lifetime. All that time I'd be wasting lots of energy hiding my real self, and I'd be missing out on 1,000s of opportunities to do things I enjoy, to do things I'm good at, to spend time with people who get me, and so on.

What does all this have to do with you?

When you take that plunge and say "Here I am world, take it or leave it", you get to stop wasting your time & energy on things that give you a sinking feeling, and instead spend your time and energy on connecting with people and life choices that do float your boat.

Are there risks in that? Sure. Will you have to deal with change? Yes. Is it going to be uncomfortable or painful? Possibly. But look at the rewards:

greater happiness;

less guilt & loneliness;

more fun;

more energy;

less feeling all at sea;

more external success, as you match what you do with what you love.

Making it real

Looking back over your week, in what situations did you squash your real self to avoid seeming weird, or to fit in?

What would have felt liberating to say or do instead?

How can you connect with people, ideas, or activities that encourage you to express the real you?

Care to share what makes you "weird" in the comments section below, or to email me if you want to keep things confidential? I'd love to hear about the things, ideas, & attitudes that make you wonderfully unique.

Remember, every time you take the step of claiming your you-ness, others appreciate it, and feel able to do the same.

My coaching has helped people: enjoy free-time & family-time despite busy lives; get more customers; be more confident; know their priorities and live by them; deal with stressful life events; earn money doing what they love; bring the sea into their lives; uncover what's been holding them back and stop doing it; and more.

The sea is in all aspects of my life, from my coaching (I help people who love the sea to get the lives and businesses they want); through my spare time (I scuba dive & volunteer); and into my home (I'm sewing, crafting & up-cycling to give my home a beach hut look).

I practise tithing, i.e., giving 10% of my pre-tax income: by donating to marine charities, & via selected pro-bono coaching.


View the original article here





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Hit List